November 2, 2011

Thrift or Treat


Photography taken by Ron Alan Cruz

     Halloween is always fun because you get to see how creative people can get with their costumes. One of my favorite movies as a kid was "Who Framed Roger Rabbit." I was fascinated by the way cartoons and humans existed in the same film. After thinking of what I wanted to be for Halloween, I decided to bring Roger Rabbit's character to life. But of course, I have to put my own spin on it. The "do it yourself" mentality is the best way to go when creating a costume because you can achieve exactly what you've imagined. Not only is it a more reasonable cost, but the overpriced costumes aren't usually what they are worth. The concept for the shoot was to make it look like I got caught/framed making it look more humorous and animated.

DIY Costume Breakdown:
Overalls- The overalls were thrifted. They were actually blue denim, but I set them in bleach for a day to strip its color. Then I used Tulip Fabric Dye to transform the overalls into solid red. I used large yellow buttons that I found in my grandmother's sewing treasures. Using a photo reference, I sewed the buttons according to the correct spot.

Rabbit Ears- I found some all white bunny ears at a local thrift store. The band that wrapped around my head had an outer layer of fur, but I chose to strip it clean. I took the band and painted it with acrylic black paint to match my hair.

Bow Tie- The fabric used to create the bow tie was purchased from Wal-Mart. I cut the fabric up, folded it, and held it together with hot glue. I used a single sheet of yellow felt material to create the dots.

White Loafers- The white leather loafers were thrifted and I chose them to represent Roger Rabbit's feet.

Nose- I used my grandmother's lipstick to create a red nose.

Yellow Gloves- I purchased dishwasher gloves from the $1 Store



Follow Seamed Right

2 comments:

  1. saw your costume at Lookbook (and I hope you know that I follow you here too, I'm a big fan just in case you didn't know haha) I read the whole thing (description) and kudos for what you did at the overall. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being such an avid supporter. I really appreciate it. These words of positive feedback keep me pushing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...